Monday, July 19, 2010

san francisco.

pass me a spray can
i will detail this summer's eye
and sketch you a switch back
as you roll slowly down lombard lane
and crissy tugs your hair as you dance
in her ocean hugging field
and a helicopter flies over you
and takes your picture
and the drag queen on the bus
smiles at you with gay pride

i love this city. i love this town.

give me a paint brush
i will tell you a story in graffiti
of dirty cocaine deals
in this whip slapped crack land
i will show you her shaggy streets
raging lunatics and drunks
it reeks of insanity
and the sweet smell of transit sweat
follows me wherever i go

i love this city. i love this town.

give me a music box
i will sing you a song
of sourdough bread bowls
and sugary donuts on pier 39
and fisherman's wharf fortunes
promise me riches
but look around this place
you are already rich
burrito babies on every corner
and black and white
there is no grey

i love this city. i love this town.

give me a stage
i will dance an interpretation
of love in the wind
dark skinned couples kiss
just another breakfast at tiffany's
and beach bums in their surfing towns
the golden gate an arrow
to a whole new realm
of trees warring with desert
just drive north

i love this city. i love this town.

i will show you
where you shouldn't go
after dark
where the city's hauntings
will throw their trash in your face
where fire trucks will block the sound
of ghosts from alcatraz
and i will show you the beauty
cross my heart with china
and show you the town
greasy movies on dolores
and salted caramel ice cream
baked goods on a mission
and the sweet sweet sun
of july's thursday morning

i love this city. i love this town.

it has my heart.
don't make me leave.
but take me home.
i hate it here.
i love it here.
speckled cross-dressing
knotted chewed-up spit-out
back-stitched puzzle-piece
patched up quilted city that you are.

1 comment:

  1. wow kels, thats really good! like actually really really good. :D i'm really bad at stuff like that myself, but this is a good one.

    p.s nice new background :P

    ReplyDelete